We’re about to enter the third training block for 2018, and for this one we thought we’d try and build towards the Cardiff Half, which is a big target for so many of you. In this block there’s a lot of speed / endurance work coupled with some high-volume sessions where you’ll be looking to run at a target pace rather than flat-out.
The benchmark test this block is a longer one – 3km which you should be looking to attack at your 5km goal pace.
- 1st August – BENCHMARK: 3km
- 8th August – 800m / 200m / 200m (two groups, x4 or x3)
- 15th August – Circuits
- 22nd August – x2 200m / x4 400m – two reps
- 29th August – Fartlek 1 min / 2 min / 3 min (run easy, then run hard)
- 5th September – 300m (two groups, x10 or x6)
- 12th September – Circuits
- 19th September – 1200m (two groups, x4 or x3)
- 26th September – BENCHMARK: 3km
- 3rd October – Agility, Balance and Co-ordination session
The Cardiff Half Marathon is on October 7th, so hopefully this block will help you train towards it, and then effectively taper as you inch towards the big day. If you need an overall training plan and you’re not sure where to start, give us a shout and we’ll work with you to find something that fits around your schedule.
As usual, if you’ve got any questions just give us a shout!
Matt, Ryan and Rich